Formed in 1962, the Society is a Registered Charitable Company Limited by Guarantee working to preserve the heritage and fabric of the historic town of Faversham and its surrounding parishes. Created in response to modernization and the loss of historic buildings in Faversham, the Society aims to ensure that Faversham’s individual sense of place and outstanding heritage features are not lost.
Over 50 years of growth and development have shaped the Society into a complex business with many different aspects, most of which engage directly with the general public as well as with specialist researchers and enquirers. With over 1000 members and run entirely by volunteers, the Society is one of the oldest civic societies in the UK and much of its early work has since been replicated by other civic organizations, especially our Open House event.
The steady collection and preservation of physical evidence from Faversham’s rich, historic past – archaeological discoveries reflecting many centuries of human activity, recent artefacts from everyday life, relics of Faversham’s diverse industrial and maritime past, and supporting documentary archives – endow the Society with a central role in the research and presentation of Faversham’s history to the widest audiences.