- displays local archaeological finds
- displays local fossils
- houses local artists’ work including a collection of Harold Batzer’s paintings
- displays a multitude of artefacts donated by the island people
- displays items from local industries
- houses a collection of copies of Sheppey’s local newspapers from 1860 to this millennium
- displays an historic Sheppey Timeline painted on the wall of the 12th century stairwell
- provides from the roof viewing platform an almost 360 degree vista of the surrounding area
- is an educational and research base for local history learning
- Provides opportunities for the general public and members of heritage organisations, School children and youth groups to visit a heritage site
- Out-reach opportunities for residential homes, schools and groups
- Provides an opportunity for creating a digital record of Sheppey’s heritage
- Is a space for events for community festive celebrations
Benefits from membership of Historic Swale
- Provision of access to free relevant training for our volunteers
- Opportunities to learn from and contribute to best practice
- Participation in the Wheels of Time project for small museums in Kent, thus encouraging families to visit
- First-hand knowledge to events and attractions within Swale
- Access to funding for a museum that is not accredited
Opportunities to join Sheppey Local History Society and volunteer to run Minster Gatehouse Museum
- Regular monthly meetings are held for members and visitors providing an interesting selection of activities and illustrated talks about local historical topics.
- A chance to share your skills and learn new ones.
- Welcoming and providing guided tours, selling merchandise, cataloguing the artefacts, researching family history, decorating the rooms for Halloween and Father Christmas’s visit, catering for events and cleaning and maintaining an ancient building are just a few...
- Heritage Lottery Funding has provided digital equipment to record and archive the contents of the museum. There is still funding to encourage a student join us in this project. Please see contact details.
- Bank holidays
- Every Saturday, from 1st May to 25th September
- Every Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday in July and August.
- Times: 2 pm - 4.30 pm
- Adults £2.00
- Senior Citizens £1.50
- Children £1.00
- Family tickets £5.00
Ample free Parking
Further info including Group Visits outside normal opening times, please contact Lena Crowder on 01795 875111 or Ken Ingleton 01795 873709